Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Back at it

Wow, that was a long day.
Those are the first things that cross my mind as I climb into bed at 2 a.m. on Monday, about 3.5 hours before I have to be out of bed again to get back to the gym and back to work.
The day was Sunday and it essentially lasted 38 hours. In South Korea on Sunday morning, I slept in a little bit and was off to breakfast before finishing up packing up all of my clothes and other belongings in preparation for leaving the place that I've called home for the last few weeks.
At 10:40 a.m. I was on the bus to the train station in Gangneung, where we were greeted by volunteers who helped get us to the proper train platform. The train took off for the Incheon Airport and a few hours later, I was stepping off the train and into the airport. After a quick lunch, I was able to find my way to the departure area and then a very nice young woman directed me to the Air Canada desks, where I checked my bag and headed to the right gate. My Olympic credentials got me in a shorter line through security and once through, it was easy enough to find the gate and eventually, board the flight.
The 12-plus-hour flight from Incheon to Toronto was much more successful than the flight from Toronto to Incheon, which was delayed by two hours on the tarmac. We landed in Toronto on time, weirdly enough not too long on the clock after we took off. After grabbing a little dinner, the next flight heads to Boston and home. But not before a moment of panic when I realized I didn't have my backpack on. I was able to track it down before someone reported it to airport security as an abandoned suspicious bag, which is good, since it contained pretty much everything I needed to get home.
We landed in Boston just after 8 p.m. and after I got my bags (which all arrived as well) and got to my car, it was after 9 p.m. and I was heading north toward Meredith and the office. To my pleasant surprise, the code on the door still worked and I walked into the office to find one of the packages I had sent from Korea already awaiting me.
But, that will have to wait to be opened until the next day. I got the work done and headed home after what surely was the longest day I've ever had.

No comments:

Post a Comment