Public transportation day

At the first two Olympics that I attended, Sochi and PyeongChang, the media buses took us everywhere. They were all over the place, zooming up and down the roads to the mountains of Russia and South Korea, going places I was shocked to see buses go.

When we got the information regarding the Tokyo 2020 Olympics, it stated that it would likely be easier for us to use public transportation, as traffic is tough in Tokyo and the buses would likely be stuck in traffic, even with dedicated Olympic lanes. Connecting the many different venues to hubs was easier with public transportation.

Of course, COVID put a bit of a screw into that master plan. We weren't allowed to use the public transportation until we had been in Japan for 14 days, which for most people, brought them pretty near the end of their Olympic experience. So we were basically forced to ride the buses. However, they didn't really adjust the schedule to accommodate for that, as we had to leave one venue and go all the way back to the one hub to get another bus rather than finding buses between venues.

Beijing was much of the same, again thank in large part to COVID and our inability to use the public transportation network. That being said, Beijing did a much better job (with more time to plan around COVID) of having different buses running from different locations and between different venues.

When Paris 2024 sent us the information regarding our transportation while in the City of Light, they noted that not all venues would have dedicated shuttle buses. Most of them would, but there would be some where the only way to get there would be by public transportation. And most hotels also had no buses, only public transportation. As someone who has never really had much of an opportunity to use subways and the like over the years, I was a bit apprehensive and one of my biggest worries when I got here was that I'd be stuck in my hotel because I couldn't get the right train.

The Paris 2024 folks released an app in the weeks leading up to our arrival and that app helps us to determine what is the best way to get from one location to another, whether it's using one of the shuttle buses or taking the public transportation. When I first got to my hotel room, I called up the app, put in my location and the Main Press Center and it immediately popped up with the Tb3 train. The train is about half a mile from my hotel and I found the station pretty easily, though it took me a few minutes to figure out which direction I was going (though the app says that too).

So, I have ridden that train at least twice a day every day. I am lucky in that it connects directly to a stop right outside the MPC so there's no getting off and changing trains. In my first couple of days I also took the train to swimming, which is also just one single train from the MPC to the venue.

Today was the big day. I wanted to check out Versaille and I knew it would be a couple of different trains to get there. I followed the app and despite a bit of a wait, I got to the village of Versailles and got the chance to walk through the gardens of the impressive palace. It was definitely one of the things on my bucket list for this trip. I got back to the station and got on the right train and after one switch, made my way back to Paris. I also wanted to go to whitewater kayaking and that was in the other direction, also with a switch of trains. To my own surprise, I made it there and back again without getting stuck in a strange location. And even got to beach volleyball at the Eiffel Tower (incredible) to close out my day.

Tomorrow I am heading back to the rowing venue, so I'll be back on the public transportation again. Hopefully it continues to go OK.


The palace and gardens at Versailles were absolutely amazing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

That. Was. Not. Fun.

A quick Opening Ceremony update

One day, one venue