Tuesday, July 6, 2021

Two weeks to go?

The time is drawing near, with just two weeks to go until I leave for Tokyo. And I must say, the shear amount of paperwork has been overwhelming and as of this writing, my submitted activity plan has not been approved and it has me a bit nervous.

For those who don't know, all press attending the Olympics must submit an activity plan to the Tokyo Organizing Committee. These activity plans must include all the many destinations that we could possibly visit within our first 14 days in Japan. These destinations would include our accommodations, Olympic venues, the Main Press Center and other Olympic-related destinations. We are not allowed to travel outside of those areas in our first 14 days.

My first submission of an activity plan was rejected by the Japanese government, meaning I had to submit it again, which I did, making the corrections that were needed. I am still hopeful that the revised plan will be accepted, which will allow me to download the appropriate health-reporting app for my phone, which will in turn allow me to board the plane to Japan.

I have been telling people that there are pretty much three steps I need to get through. The first step is getting on the plane at Logan Airport in two weeks. The second step is being allowed to get off the plane in Tokyo the next day. The third step is being allowed to leave the airport and commence my Olympic experience.

All press have to take two COVID-19 tests prior to departing their home country and have the proper paperwork to support those. We also have to be tested when we land in Tokyo and then we get tested each of the first three days that we are there. From that point, if we continue to test negative, we will be tested every four days.

This Olympic experience has by far been more challenging and frustrating than either of the first two Olympic experiences I have had. The constant barrage of paperwork, information and restrictions has been overwhelming. And at this point, I know that there is still a chance that I may not even make it to Tokyo.

On a related note, the money that I sent to China for the Beijing Olympics next February was finally credited to my account after three different attempts to get it sent. So at least there is something positive going on in the Olympic front.

If you see me around after July 22, that means that something went wrong and I am watching the Olympics on television with the rest of the world. No offense, but here's hoping I don't see everyone for a few weeks.


There are some great views in Japan, but unfortunately we won't be able to see many sites around the country for most of our stay, assuming we can get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment