Friday, July 23, 2021

An Olympics just like the others?

This is an Olympics unlike any other. 

But, in one small way, it is an Olympics just like the others I’ve attended.

That small way is the Opening Ceremonies and how I was not in attendance for any of the three Opening Ceremonies at Olympics I have attended.

Even though our credentials allow us access to the venues for most events, there are a number of events that are deemed High Demand Events and for those, we need tickets. We have to apply through the national organizing committee through which we got our original credentials, so for me, that would be the US Olympic and Paralympic Committee.

In both Russia and Korea in 2014 and 2018, I was not in the host city when the Opening Ceremonies started, so I was unable to get there. Wanting to possibly see them this time around, I made sure to book my flight and hotel for a day before the Opening Ceremonies so there was a chance I could see them in person. However, that was before the pandemic came along and changed up everyone’s plans. 

So, instead, I found myself sitting in my hotel room watching the television as the athletes paraded into a nearly-empty Olympic Stadium. It was weird to see the stands so empty for such a big event, but the reasoning behind it is sound and I understand it. 

Strangely enough, in the three Olympics I’ve been to, I’ve seen all three Opening Ceremonies, in one way or another, on television. In 2014, I was in an airport in Moscow waiting on my flight to Sochi while the Opening Ceremonies were taking place. In PyeongChang in 2018, I was in the check-in area at the media housing checking into my room while the Opening Ceremonies were on a television there. And this time, I was in my hotel room watching on Japanese television. I was also doing a couple of radio interviews back in the US during the Opening Ceremonies and the hosts were also watching the NBC feeds of the ceremonies. However, I was watching the Japanese feed, which was a little different.

After a long day of not being able to get any information on how to proceed in getting the COVID tests required while also not leaving my hotel, I was able to get through to someone and they are set to deliver my tests today (Saturday) so I can hopefully get out to see some events come Monday.


Watching the Opening Ceremonies on the television in my hotel room in Tokyo.

No comments:

Post a Comment