Friday, August 14, 2020

The time has come

 If 2020 had gone as planned (hahahahaha), this past Monday would have been my return trip from the Tokyo Olympics. I would have flown from the Japanese capital through Seattle and then to Boston. It surely would have been an exciting two weeks in Eastern Asia and I am hopeful that next summer offers the same opportunity. But that's a story for another day.

On a related note, this coming Monday will mark my return to the job that I held since 2003 before I was temporarily laid off in April. It's been a long few months and over the past few weeks, I've been slowly gearing up for the return to writing, but I have to admit, it is going to take some getting used to. I've actually taken in a few different games over the last couple of weeks in preparation (I've seen you Wolfeboro Wolverines and MWV Eagles softball and Wolfeboro Senior Babe Ruth).

Writing is something that I have essentially been doing since I've been out of college. I feel like covering sports is something that I need to be doing. But I also know that going back to the job is going to be different. The people that I have worked with over the last few years are not back on the job yet, so there will likely be more work to do. At the same time, there's also a chance that some schools will not be doing sports this fall. Yes, sports are going to look different when they do come back and I know that the coverage I can provide will likely be a little different as well.

I am looking forward to being back on the sidelines when sports do return but there's a good chance I am going to have to rely on the help of coaches and others a little more, since I am going from the five schools I have covered the last few years to a total of 19 schools in the Salmon Press coverage area. This will provide a challenge or sure but in the time of COVID-19, everything has been a challenge, so this will be no different.

If you are a local athlete, parent, coach or fan, I look forward to possibly seeing you out and about in the upcoming seasons. And I hope everyone continues to stay safe as sports slowly seep back into our world.

7 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Josh returning to the papers? All is right (well, sort of) in the world

      Delete
    2. Josh returning to the papers? All is right (well, sort of) in the world

      Delete
    3. Thanks... Hopefully things continue to go in the right direction.

      Delete
  2. Oh! I’m so glad you’ll be back! Please shout if I can help you in any way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathy. If you get any good PMHS pictures on the sports field, please feel free to send them along. We can always use a picture or two.

      Delete