Thursday, July 22, 2021

More frustration

I arrived at my hotel in Tokyo almost 10 hours ago. And still, nobody has been able to tell me how exactly I am supposed to get a COVID-19 test when I am not supposed to leave the hotel for three days.

We were told, as media, if we had to quarantine for three days and were the only member of our organization, we could call a number and they would arrange drop-off and pick-up of COVID-19 tests. I tried calling the number when I got in last night to no avail. The person at the front desk also tried calling the number for me, also to no avail. I've tried numerous times this morning, and still nothing.

I am not exactly sure what I am supposed to do at this point. I understand the quarantine rule, but if there is a rule in place, make it possible for people to follow the rule so they can do their jobs. There has been no communication whatsoever from anyone with knowledge of how to handle this situation. And that is incredibly frustrating for someone who is trying to plan things so I can do my job.

On a related note, got to the hotel last night around 11 p.m. and it was as I expected, small. That's not really a problem, since I wasn't planning on spending much time here, but now that I'm stuck here, it could get cramped. The bathroom is absolutely tiny and very weirdly, has a step up from the room into the bathroom. I am sure I will trip once or twice over the course of the next few weeks.

The breakfast choices this morning at the hotel weren't too bad. There were a couple different kinds of rice and bread, some meat, fruit, juice and some more lunch like items such as salads. I believe I am allowed to leave the hotel to get food, but have yet to determine just where I can go for that, finding a way to get my COVID test has been more of a priority.

The Opening Ceremonies are coming up tonight, I won't be there. Wolfeboro's Hilary Gehman is coaching her team in the women's quadruple sculls at Sea Forest Waterway in a few hours. I won't be there. And if I can't find someone to explain to me how I get my COVID test, I may not be anywhere.

So yeah, this is frustrating.


This is my room in Tokyo. It's small, but I don't need a ton of space.

No comments:

Post a Comment