Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Weird times

This is traditionally a blog about preparing for the Olympics and eventually covering the Olympics, but occasionally it veers into different territory.
With the (hopefully) temporary layoff now a week old, I've been searching for a way to at least write once in a while and get stuff out there, so this is the space.
To someone who is a creature of habit, used to working more than 50 hours a week, creating a routine that is timed to perfection every morning, throwing the wrench of no work, no gym, really no anything, into the mix is just a gut-punch.
I've been doing my best to try not to think about it too much, but I obviously miss sports. Of course, my livelihood depends on sports, but there's also the professional sports that I would watch on a regular basis. This would be the first month of baseball season, which is such a harbinger of spring. And as my favorite sport, baseball is badly missed in this corner of the world.
But high school sports play a big part of my life. I miss getting out on the tennis courts, baseball and softball diamonds, lacrosse fields and tracks around the region. This would be the time when those spring sports would be ramping up and kicking off the season. Now, like the kids who are likely missing these sports, I find myself in the same boat.
I feel particularly bad for the seniors who have seen their high school careers cut short. I am not optimistic about the possibility of spring sports getting a chance to play, but I hold out hope for a number of reasons. First and foremost, it would be good for everyone to get out to play or watch, but if we can get sports back, there's a chance I could be back at work.
My routine is certainly off, but I've been trying to keep things on the same sort of schedule. I get up at the same time, instead of going to the gym, I go walking every morning for 45 minutes or so. But I also find myself going stir crazy in the afternoon and get out and walk for another 45 minutes or an hour just to do something.
Some day we will get back to normal. Some day we will have sports again. And some day can't come soon enough.

1 comment: