Monday, April 20, 2020

A trip down memory lane (from my couch)

Last week I spent a good deal of time discussing the Olympic rabbit hole that I went down, reading tons of information on Olympic bids from various cities, including winning hosts Beijing, Milan-Cortina, Paris and Los Angeles.
It was a great way to kill time, but unfortunately got me thinking about some deeper questions like whether or not I'd even have my job back next summer when the Tokyo Olympics take place or whether the Olympics would even be able to take place as planned in Tokyo next summer.
Of course, in case you didn't know, I'm bored out of my mind. I've watched a lot of television and most of it is just rewatching shows I've seen before.
However, I was online last week and noticed a schedule from NBC Sports Network that noted they would be running highlights from the Summer Olympics over the course of the next few weeks. I promptly went into my DVR and set it to record as many of the episodes as I could.
Most of the first week was dedicated to recaps of numerous sports from throughout the Rio de Janeiro Olympics in 2016. I watched Michael Phelps, Katie Ledecky, Aly Raisman, Simone Biles, Galen Rupp and more in their competitions from the South American city, the first trip to the continent for the Olympic Games.
After the days of Rio coverage, they went into coverage of the London Olympics from 2012. These specials originally aired a few years ago, but it was cool to look back at those Games, with some of the same faces that I had seen in the Rio segments, only four years younger. This coming week, there is some more content from the Beijing Games in 2008, which will be even more interesting to look back on because it's not quite as fresh in the mind as some of the newer Olympics.
Most of these events I saw when they originally aired, but in a time when there is no live sports, it's always nice to see some competition (lots of networks are airing classic games) and in a year when we were supposed to see the Olympics, it's a good time to look back and remember some of the incredible performances.
I got curious as to whether or not NBC Sports Network had done a similar program for the Winter Olympics, so I looked around the web site and found that they had indeed run specials on PyeongChang last year (on the one-year anniversary of the 2018 Winter Olympics). My hope is that they will run these specials again at some point in the upcoming winter.
These would certainly prove a unique experience for me because I was there and was able to witness a number of the events in person. However, because I was on the other side of the world, I never really got to see NBC's coverage of the Games from PyeongChang and Sochi, so it would be cool to see how they covered some of these events and it would also bring back some memories of the cool locations I got to travel to in 2014 and 2018.
For now, that's about as close to the Olympics as I (or anyone) is going to get, but I'm grateful for NBCSN for providing a nice look back into a time when we were all able to come together, both in person and through the television.

No comments:

Post a Comment