Tuesday, March 3, 2020

Nervousness, apprehension and excitement, all at the same time

As I write this on Thursday, Feb. 20, it’s been almost six years to the day since my first Olympic experience drew to a close.
That was in Sochi in February of 2014 and it was an experience that I will always remember. It was my first time covering such a huge event and in many ways, it was overwhelming.
However, I learned a lot in that first time out and when it came time to head to PyeongChang four years later, I had a much better idea of what to expect and it made the great experience I had the first time even better.
Now, as I prepare for my first Summer Olympics experience, I am concerned a bit about the sheer massiveness of the summer games compared to the winter games.
However, that’s a story for another day.
What has been on my mind lately has been the whole threat of the coronavirus and how it might impact my Olympic trip.
Going back to 2014 before I traveled to Russia, there was a lot of talk about security concerns and what Russia was doing to prepare. There were reports that some venues and some housing units weren’t complete. I can’t tell you the number of links people sent me about incomplete rooms and more.
However, I said to myself back then that this was a once in a lifetime opportunity and there was no way I was not going, despite the many issues that seemed to be popping up as they got closer.
This has been on my mind as the Tokyo Summer Olympics inch closer and the threat of the coronavirus continues to hang over eastern Asia. I keep reading stories that the Olympic officials have stated over and over that they are not cancelling or not delaying the Summer Games. Then I will read a story or two that quotes Japanese “medical professionals” saying that they think this could be more of an issue than Olympic officials are letting on.
Out of the gate, the first thing I thought of was the money that has gone into this. Thanks to many awesome people, I have sent the deposit for my housing (half of the overall $1,600 cost) and I have bought my airline tickets there and back ($1,700). I am sure that if the Olympics get changed, my rooming would likely be intact, just for different dates.
When I purchased my airline tickets, I did get the insurance, so if I had to change my flight, I could likely do so without much of a fee.
However, in addition to the money, there’s also the whole coronavirus thing. The quarantined cruise ship that’s been on the news is docked in Yokohama, which is near Tokyo and is hosting a number of Olympic events. So, this is legitimate.
However, like in Sochi with the security concerns, this is a great opportunity and letting something outside of my control ruin what could be quite an experience is the wrong thing to do.
I’m moving forward with the trip and I’m excited about it. My hope that is in the five months until I leave things get more cleared up on the coronavirus front.
Additionally, I should note a special thanks to my friends at the Village Players Theater who are organizing a fundraiser to help with the final expenses for the trip. It is set for Saturday, May 2, at 6 p.m. at the theater in Wolfeboro. I am sure more information will be released soon and I’ll get it out there for readers.

From my first Olympic experience, the Media Center in Sochi in 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment