Monday, March 23, 2020

A disappointing decision

The word is out that yes, the Summer Olympics are going to be postponed.
Scheduled to start on July 24, it became increasingly obvious over the last few weeks that the coronavirus pandemic was going to be an issue when it comes to the Olympics. The IOC held firm for a few weeks, stating they were hopeful that they wouldn't have to change things, but as more and more countries and/or athletes spoke up, it became obvious that a change was going to be needed.
First and foremost, bringing together thousands of people from around the world into one location certainly was not the ideal move.
Secondly, with the virus forcing the causing many places to close and events to be cancelled, the chance that athletes had to qualify for the Olympics were being called off, meaning they would have to be rescheduled before the Olympics and that was looking less and less likely to happen.
It just wasn't going to work out and that became pretty obvious to everyone on Sunday. While I was not completely sold on the IOC's optimism out of the gate, I admittedly held out hope that things would go on as planned and we'd be able to travel to Tokyo in July.
I was excited for my first Summer Olympic experience and now I have some things to consider. If the Summer Olympics are moved to the exact same time next year, do I suck it up, move my planned accommodations to next year and swap the flight as well or do I just cancel everything and focus on Beijing in 2022?
The issue for me is funding. For past Olympics, I've had four years between events to get the money together and with deciding to try for the Summer Olympics, I cut that in half for both Tokyo and a possible Beijing trip in 2022. If the Olympics get moved to next summer, we're looking at a scant six to eight months between Summer and Winter Games.
And the sheer amount of paperwork would certainly be impressive, since I'd be dealing with Summer Olympics ramp up while also going through the work for Beijing. I anticipate that the media process for Beijing will likely begin later this year, though I also know that there's no guarantee that I get approved for credentials.
There's a lot to think about over the next few weeks. Instead of gearing up for Tokyo by filling out paperwork and making final payments as the official Olympic credentials started arriving in the mail, I will be sitting at home like everyone else without much to do.
It's disappointing. It's the right decision, but nonetheless, it's disappointing.


The winds of PyeongChang will continue to be my most recent Olympic experience, for a while at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment