Au revoir to Paris

The Paris Olympics are officially over.

Last night, I watched as Tom Cruise leaped off the top of the Stade de France, grabbed the Olympic flag, hopped on a motorcycle and headed out of the stadium. Then much like Jeff Probst used to do during the finale in the early days of Survivor, he boarded a plane and eventually ended up in Los Angeles, where he handed off the flag and proceeded to turn the Hollywood sign into Olympic Rings.

With the torch officially passed to Los Angeles for the next Summer Games in 2028 (I still don't know how this is going to go), the torch was extinguished on French soil and the 2024 Games came to a close.

Someone asked me what I thought the big story was in these Olympics and I have to say it was the fact that the Olympics are back. Tokyo and Beijing did a great job hosting the Games, but without fans in the stands, without the excitement that builds with every competition, it just wasn't the same. With Paris, the Olympics are officially back and that's a good thing.

The French people seemed to welcome the world with open arms, packed the stadiums and arenas with fans, cheered for everyone (but brought the roof down for their French athletes) and were incredible hosts. The staff and volunteers were helpful and kind, always ready with a smile and whatever help they could offer.

The venues were stellar, some of the best in Olympic history, as France did a tremendous job of putting the Games in the heart of the city, at iconic locations that are instantly recognizable. Without a question, these were some of the most scenic backdrops the Olympics have taken place against.

I am eternally grateful to get to be able to do this every couple of years. Each time I say it may be the last one, but I am not saying that this time, since Milan-Cortina has been the bucket list that I am shooting for. It will take a few years of making donuts to save up the money, but the goal is to be there when the Winter Olympic flame returns to Italy in February of 2026.

As for LA, there's a lot I still don't know. I knew after Tokyo's closing ceremony that I wanted to go to Paris, but the drive to cover LA is not 100 percent there yet. We shall see.

I will have a wrap-up on my thoughts on the closing ceremony as well as some Olympic rankings coming up in the next week. But now it's time to head to the airport and see what a mess that is going to be.


Tom Cruise appears at the top of the Stade de France during Sunday's closing ceremony for the Paris Olympics.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

That. Was. Not. Fun.

A quick Opening Ceremony update

One day, one venue