Monday, August 2, 2021

A day of firsts

 Today was a day of firsts in my Olympic experiences and as the day comes to close, reflecting back it was nice to get a couple of those firsts out of the way.

As mentioned in my last blog post, today marked the first time I had applied for and received a ticket to a high-demand event. The USOPC gave me a ticket for tonight’s gymnastics events at Ariake Gymnastics Center. I wasn’t too particular about what events I was seeing, it was more about which night fit best into my schedule. And tonight was it.

I am writing this as the men compete in the rings finals and I must say, that is an insane discipline. Holding themselves up in those crazy positions absolutely still is incredible. The arm strength is amazing. The women’s floor exercise is up next, with the only US gymnast of the evening competing, Jade Carey. The night is closed out by the men’s vault. I am sure this. Would have gotten more play back home if Simone Biles had not backed out of competing in the floor exercise.

The other first of the day came earlier on when I made the trek to the Olympic Stadium to watch track and field action. Believe it or not, over the course of three Olympics, I had never been inside an Olympic Stadium. At the Winter Games, the only things that they are used for are the opening can closing ceremonies and I had never been to those the past two Games. Today, my goal was to see former UNH star Elle Purrier St. Pierre run in the opening round of the 1,500 meters. She was in heat two and came home with a third place finish, which put her into the semifinals, taking place on Wednesday. I also watched some of the 200, including Gabby Thomas of Massachusetts finishing second in her heat.

I must say, being inside the Olympic Stadium was pretty cool, even though it was quite warm. The grandeur of the entire thing was impressive and it was pretty neat in the bowels too, as there was an entire road underneath the stadium with plenty of parking spots. It was not what I expected.

All told, not a terribly busy day, but a day of firsts and after three Olympics, that’s not always the easiest thing to do.


Got my first visit inside an Olympic Stadium today for a little track action.

2 comments:

  1. Josh, it is really cool to be there vicariously through you! Thank you for the work you are doing to bring a non-commercial-tv presence to us!

    ReplyDelete