Tuesday, February 11, 2014

A little break... sometimes it's needed


I’m not going to lie. Three days into the Olympic experience, I needed a break.
Tuesday was the day that I got my break.
I had spent Saturday and Sunday night until past 1 p.m. getting work done and on Monday night it was about 11 p.m. when I got back to my room, so there had been some long days on my schedule.
But I had purposely scheduled a light day on Mondays to help make sure I could get the papers all organized and sent in on time. But as it turned out, today as a light day as well, as I only had one event on my schedule and it was later in the evening.
So, I took the opportunity to sleep in. And I must say, it felt great. I got up at about 9:30 a.m. and instead of heading straight to the Main Press Center, I took a walk down the coast and walked along the edge of the Black Sea. I was hoping to get a good look up at the mountains, but it was cloudy this morning, so the mountains were barely visible from the water.
After the break from all the work, I packed up and made my way to the Main Press Center, where I finished up the papers and got some other work done.
This evening, I am once again heading up into the mountains, this time to watch a little history be made as women’s ski jumping makes its Olympic debut. Sarah Hendrickson is one of the top jumpers in the world and her parents grew up in Plymouth and skied for Plymouth Regional High School and she still has many family members in the Plymouth area.
It was great to see a little history and get an interview with some former local residents watching their daughter make some history.
But, these late night events aren’t always easy to take. Ski jumping ended well after 11 p.m. and I still have more than an hour until I can make it back to the hotel room.

The RussSki Gorki ski jump played host to the first ever women's Olympic ski jump.

No comments:

Post a Comment