Now that was something
It's currently 9:40 p.m. in Los Angeles, I woke up at 1 a.m. on the East Coast, so with the exception of the little bit of sleep I got on the plane, I've been up for almost 24 hours. But I thought I needed to share a bit of what the opening evening of the World Press Briefing for LA28 brought.
I arrived in LA just after noon and checked in at the hotel a little after 1 p.m. I registered for the World Press Briefing and took an Uber to In N Out Burger (the Uber rides cost more than the meal, but it was the closest location) and it was worth it.
The first event of the World Press Briefing was the opening reception, which was held on Tuesday evening at a place called Cosm in Inglewood, right near SoFi Stadium and the Intuit Dome. I wasn't exactly sure what to expect at the location, as no real information was given to us ahead of time. There was plenty of food and drinks but the highlight had to be the feature presentation by Cosm, which absolutely blew my mind.
The attendees were led into a dome-like area that at first glance reminded me of a planetarium that I might have gone to when I was younger. And I guess there was a good reason for that, as the Cosm folks told us that it was the planetarium technology taken to the next level. They talked about how they were presenting sports in their locations and immersing the audiences in the experience.
I was not ready for what came on the screen, in fact, I let out a gasp (as did others) when the first images popped up on the screen. It was like you were sitting in the stadium watching the game, then it jumped to a different location in the stadium and then to an arena for basketball and then hockey and then UFC. It was absolutely incredible, the technology was just insane. And they plan on using it during LA28 as a way to get more fans involved in the games at their multiple locations around the country. And while it is incredible for sports, they put us inside the Sistine Chapel and at numerous beautiful locations around the world.
It was also kind of cool to see what they did with the Beijing halfpipe competition, especially given that I was there and watched that competition in person. But sitting there, surrounded all over by the mountains outside of Beijing, it was almost like I was there again.
I can see how this technology is going to make an incredible viewing experience and if you can't be there in person, this has to be the next best thing.
Pictures on my phone can't do the Cosm experience justice. This is a look at the Celtics winning the 2024 NBA championship. It was like sitting in the arena and I can see how it will make LA28 even more awesome for spectators.

Comments
Post a Comment