Making a change

When I originally booked my flight to Paris for this summer's Olympics, I decided I wanted to go a little early to give myself some time before everything becomes really busy. I traditionally fly in the morning, so I booked a 6 a.m. Tuesday flight out of Boston through New York City and on to Paris.

The more I looked at that flight, the more I grew a little concerned with the layover time in New York. It was less than an hour of time between flights and going from a domestic flight to an international flight, I was concerned about being able to make it from one flight to another and to me I wasn't sure I wanted to put my entire trip in jeopardy because of a missed flight.

So, this morning I went online and searched for different flights on Delta, which is where I booked my original flight. I couldn't find anything on the Tuesday that I originally booked that landed on the same day, so I looked at flights out on Monday evening. And sure enough, I found a flight leaving Boston at 7 p.m. on Monday evening, July 22, and goes through Amsterdam, with a longer layover, so there's a smaller chance of missing a flight due to the short layover. And it all remains in the international terminal, so that's even easier.

More good news is that the flight was much cheaper than the original flight that I booked, so I got some Delta credits to go along with my new flight.

So now, I arrive in Paris just after noon on Tuesday, July 23, which is about seven hours earlier than originally planned. I made the adjustments on the Paris 2024 Arrivals and Departures web site, which helps us manage our transportation from the airport to our accommodations once we land in Paris. 

I also reserved a parking spot at Logan Airport for the entire time of my trip. By booking ahead of time in the economy garage, I was able to save almost 200 dollars, though the price is still over 500 dollars. The last two Olympics, the economy garage wasn't open so I reserved a spot at one of the off-site parking locations. Those were both fine, but the price was about the same and the economy parking garage is closer.

Time has gone pretty quickly the last few months and now there is less than 40 days until I board the flight  on the way to Paris. I land on a Tuesday, there are a few events on Wednesday and Thursday including soccer and rugby before the opening ceremonies take place on Friday. I am hopeful to be attending the opening ceremonies, but I know it might be a pretty hot ticket this year and it may not happen. That is still to be determined.

The final pieces are falling into place. Paris is not too far away.


I made a few changes to my flight plan for Paris, leaving the night before originally planned and flying overnight.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

That. Was. Not. Fun.

A quick Opening Ceremony update

One day, one venue