Friday, January 24, 2014

Truly humbled

As the clock ticks under two weeks until I head off to the airport to catch the airplane that leads to Russia, I have been incredibly humbled by the support that the local community has shown as I chase this crazy dream of covering the Olympics.
When I was first offered the chance to do this, I said yes, not even thinking about the cost of the entire thing. I knew it was something I had to do, a once in a lifetime experience, something I would never forget.
But people started coming up to me and offering their assistance. The Village Players threw a comedy roast this summer. Prospect Mountain student athletes hosted a spaghetti dinner. Community members organized a going away party. Local school organizations made donations. My company agreed to match any funds I raised. I struggle to ask for help, as anyone who has known me for any sort of time can tell. I believe I can do things on my own. And sure, I could've done this on my own, but I'd be staring at a mountain of credit card debt when I return from Russia.
I can't describe how humbling it is to have so many people offer their assistance. People have come up to me at games or on the street or in my office and offered up assistance. It's been truly incredible and has made me realize what a wonderful group of communities I have the pleasure of working in.
There is no doubt that I am going to remember this experience for the rest of my life, but there is also no doubt that I am going to remember all the people who have made this trip possible. I am truly grateful and honored that so many different people have offered their assistance and support. I can't thank you all enough.

2 comments:

  1. You have given so much to this community! You have brought us so much joy with the pictures you take. I have a bin full of pictures you have taken of my kids. Every week when the paper arrived.....right to the sports section I go to see my students and children in the paper. It feels so good to give to you after you have given so much to us <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much... It is certainly going to be an experience.

    ReplyDelete